Vitaly Umansky Illustration

My Website

My Website
vitalyillustrates.com

Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Instantly Aged

I opened the news and saw that Jobs resined. I decided to learn more about this man and looked him up in Wikipedia. I learned many details I didn't know, like that he left Apple in the 80s' and that he made Pixar out of a division of LucasFilms, but what stroke me was the combination of encyclopedic formality with the immediacy of everything. "He is ... former chief executive officer of Apple Inc".
-Huh, they updated it already, I thought. I kept reading until I hit "On August 24, 2011, Jobs announced his resignation from his role as Apple's CEO". It was written as if the matter at hand was some event in the life of Napoleon or something from the Cold War affairs. I looked at the clock. It was 12:01 AM, August 25. With the snap of fingers, life was alphabetized and archived together with all the rest of the events that happened on a certain date in the history of the Earth. I felt like I instantly aged, and was myself stuffed between bits and bytes, possibly to be found on some date in the history of the Earth. What happens when you are found? Is it like a resurrection, or more like a reincarnation, since you are unrecognizably out of context?
Dear diary, in my next life I will be reduced to few words by someone who is also tagged in some tiny, meaningless corner of the informational cosmos.
And I will be able to Google us both in the current life. Watch.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha. I see wikipedia this way.There are so many things in this world we as people should know about. Many of these things will not be interesting to us, so having a brief summary of these events is a benefit. if in fact you feel you would like to learn more about the subject, you can always look further into it from a less brief source cited on the bottom of the wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete